Innovate Sri Lanka Award ceremony 2019 was held at the water’s edge. Several projects were highlighted and won awards at Innovate Sri Lanka Award ceremony 2019.
• Bed to Trolley Transfer method for the sick and disabled project won the Overall 1st place and the members of the team were Dileesha Jayathilake, Shashika Gunawardana and Nuwan Jayaweera from Department of Mechanical Engineering and L.J. Silva from Faculty of Medical Sciences. Supervised by Dr. Thilaksiri Bandara and Dr. Tharaka Bandara.
• A Hybrid system for gear shifting in Bicycles won the Overall 2nd place. Members of the team consisted of Nishan Auranga, Chathura Budhdhika, Prathap Jayasooriya, Gihan Jayarathna from Department of Mechanical Engineering and Tharindu Sathischandra from Department of Computer Engineering Supervised by Dr. Dulini Mudunkotuwa and Mr. Yasun Ratiyala.
• Agri Socks won the 2nd place under Food and Agriculture category special interest. Inventor was Sudesh Wickramasinghe supervised by Dr. Dulini Mudunkotuwa and Dr. Tharaka Bandara
• Cordinated Multi Point Traffic Management System for Smart cities won the Jury 1st place under smart cities and sustainable development special interest. Nimantha Fernando and Yudhara Rajapaksha were the group members of this project.
• CNC writer project won the Jury 4th place under robotics and embedded systems special interest group. One member from the group is from Department of Mechanical Engineering Dulanga Chamika and Dr. Thilaksiri Bandara supervised the team.
• Fiber induced mud brick project won a participation award. Team consisted of students of Department of Mechanical Engineering, Anjan Rajapaksha, Naveen Sanjula, Kelum Nishantha, Sudesh Wickramasingha, Madhuka Nilwala and Rohan Weraliyadda. Team was supervised by Dr. Dulini Mudunkotuwa and Mr. Tharaka Bandara.
Techno 2019, the flagship exhibition of the IESL was held on 11th ,12th and 13th of October at BMICH. Faculty of Engineering, University of Sri Jayewardenepura participated for the first time and students were able to achieve a lot of success from the very first experience they participated in. Techno games were conducted during the techno exhibition and students participated in all most all of the games and were able to win places in some competitions as well. Followings are the competitions and their achievements.
• Won the First place in HACKATHON EXTREME
• Won the Second and third place winners in IESL ROBOGAMES
• Won one of the first three places in SLIOT Challenge
• Placed at Fifth place winners in CAD EAGER
• Placed at 14th place in Spaghetti bridge competition
“Freshman Design Competition” and “Design of self-supporting structure using pencils” are two competitions that are organized for the first-year students under the course ME1301 Engineering mechanics. Students enthusiastically participate in them, reflecting their creative abilities as well as their talents. Students will have the opportunity to put into practice what they have learned and present their creative concepts.
Institution of Mechanical Engineers or IMechE is an independent professional association for mechanical engineers and engineering professionals. It has representatives in more than 140 countries all over the world. The IMechE student chapter of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura was established in December 2019. IMechE provides many opportunities via CPD courses, competitions, online seminars and much more.
One of the main competitions that is organized by IMechE is the Formula Students competition, which provides students with the opportunity to build a formula car and optimize it. The Capital Racing Team which is part of the IMechE student chapter of USJ, takes part in this competition annually. Apart from this the student chapter organizes the Speak Out for Engineers competition run by IMechE for the purpose of developing the communication and presentation skills of young members of the organization.